University Complaints Procedure

University Complaints Procedure

If you have a complaint about your course or other non-academic University issue, there are various steps you can take, both informal and formal.

Essentially the first step is about discussion and raising awareness of the issue by talking to your tutors/module/award leaders or manager of the service you are complaining about. This is stage 1 of the UWE complaints procedure. If you feel that your complaint has not been acted upon, then submit a complaint to UWE’s Complaints & Appeals Team. This is stage 2 of the complaints procedure. The Advice Centre will be able to assist you with submitting a formal complaint by supporting you when you are completing the form and accompanying you to any meetings you may have as a result of your complaint.

If after making a formal complaint you are still unhappy and can demonstrate significant grounds for dissatisfaction i.e. there is new evidence for consideration or there has been a material irregularity in the investigation of the complaint, then you can take it to the final stage of the internal complaints procedure. This involves submitting a complaint to the University's Head of Complaints & Appeals; this is the third and final stage of the internal process. The Head of Complaints & Appeals will consider your complaint and if appropriate, may make a decision regarding resolution of the complaint, or may refer the complaint back to stage 2 for further action. Any decision made by the Head of Complaints & Appeals is final and will conclude UWE’s internal process.

This three stage process is the full UWE complaints procedure and full details and further information on what to put in your form and time limitations can be found at:

Details of the relevant guidelines for your course should be given to you during enrolment. For additional information, you can also refer to any programme handbooks, and the relevant faculty web pages.

If you have exhausted the full UWE complaints procedure but are still unhappy, you may be able to take your complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA). You will however, ONLY be able to do this if you have followed all of the internal procedures first.

The OIA provide an independent scheme for the review of student complaints. The OIA will only review certain types of complaints so for more information about the OIA check out

The Advice Centre can assist students at all stages of the complaints procedure. It is important that you follow the procedures correctly, so if you want to make a complaint against UWE come in and see us.