Rape / Sexual Assault


Rape and sexual abuse are traumatic crimes that can range from violent sexual assault to having ‘problems with consent’ and someone who experiences them may have feelings of self-blame, shame and being violated in the most personal and intimate way.

People are affected in many ways and can suffer great distress. Many are overwhelmed and confused by painful feelings. Make sure you talk to someone, whether that be for practical advice, support or just to have someone to talk to who understands how you may feel.

If you would like to report a rape or sexual assault to the police, the following are advisable but don’t worry if you have already done some of these :

  • try to do so as quickly as possible to collect forensic evidence
  • not to wash or change your clothes
  • not to eat or drink anything
  • not to disturb anything in the area of the attack

Even if the attack happened a long time ago it can still be important to report it.

SafeLink Advice Service

The SafeLink Advice Service are offering confidential support via monthly sessions for UWE Bristol staff and students who have experienced any form of sexual violence and/or abuse.

SafeLink is a local specialist organisation which provides independent support for anyone (women, men and children) who has been the victim of rape and sexual abuse across the Avon and Somerset area.

Confidential advice can be given on numerous topics such as specialist support for survivors, therapeutic services, and the police process including reporting and how to access support. Please note you will not be made to do anything you are not comfortable with such as report to the police.

This advice session will be held at the Student Centre in the Farmhouse on Frenchay campus on the third Wednesday of every month from 12.30 - 16.30. You can choose to speak in-person or alternatively you can do so over the phone or virtually. Appointments will be with an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) and last for 30 minutes.

To book an appointment please email  safelinkadvice@uwe.ac.uk - please be aware that we are only able to offer appointments on a first-come first-serve basis and are not able to hold a waiting list. If you are unable to wait for a future appointment with SafeLink at UWE Bristol you can contact them directly by phone on 03333 231543, by email at Safe.Link@safelinksupport.co.uk or visit www.safelinksupport.co.uk/ where you can access Live Chat.

In emergencies please always call 999 and if you need to speak to someone at the University you can call the Serious Concerns Line on 07788 725507 or the Out of Hours Team on 07814 791212.

UWE Report and Support tool

UWE's online tool has been developed for UWE Bristol students to get help if you've experienced something on campus or on university business that makes you feel upset or uncomfortable.

With Report and Support, you can choose to speak with one of UWE's trained advisers so they can discretely investigate incidents, or you can report issues anonymously.

For further information relating to abuse and rape:

For further information about different types of violence and abuse, and the support services available to you, please see: www.bava.org.uk