Commercial Services Supervisor (Term-Time)
Main responsibilities are the running of the Student Union Bar. Duties will include; Opening and closing the venue, money handling, supervision of the bar and team throughout service and keeping on top of cleanliness of the venue. The job role works very closely with events held at the Student Union Bar and there will also be times where you might need to cross over to other departments within commercial services such as retail.
Purpose of the Post
- To supervise the day-to-day operation of The Students’ Union’s Commercial Services and act as Duty Manager as and when required.
The position shares with all other staff positions a general purpose which is:
- To work collectively for the attainment of the goals of the Union as expressed in the Constitution, Policy Book, and Strategic Plan and through the decisions of its committees
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist the Commercial Services Management Team to oversee the operation of the commercial facilities in their entirety, to include acting as Duty Manager as and when required.
- To assist the Deputy Managers to recruit, induct, coach, involve and motivate venue staff such that they are committed to making the commercial services in which they work the first choice for students.
- To supervise the work of the Commercial Services Assistants, ensuring staff meet the standards expected, addressing and correcting bad practice where applicable.
- To involve staff in the development and delivery of promotional activities and entertainments.
- To assist the Commercial Services Management Team to ensure adherence to all legal requirements.
- To assist the Commercial Services Management Team to meet Key Performance Indicators.
- Adhere to security procedures, for example the secure storage of stock and cash.
- Assist in the review and setting of service and quality standards, including sharing ideas for new services and products.
- To control the sale of goods and in so doing to ensure the proper receipt, banking and security of all monies due, carrying out the daily reconciliation of takings.
- Unlock and lock the commercial services outlet(s) as necessary following opening and closing procedures.
- Operate cash and PDQ tills including any related cash procedures, exchanges and refunds, resolving customer queries or problems as they occur.
- Provide assistance to customers, ensuring the customer always comes first, alleviating any queues in a timely manner.
- Place orders as and when necessary, and in line with procedures.
- Check deliveries to ensure correct stock received and timely storage of goods. Liaise with suppliers with regard to deliveries or missing stock, and work collaboratively with the EPOS team to ensure accurate stock control.
- Support regular stock takes and assist in the analysis of stock take reports.
- Any other reasonable duties as directed by the Commercial Services Management Team.
- Educated to GCSE level or equivalent
- Eligible to hold a Security Industry Authority licence
- Eligible to hold a Personal Licence (Licensing Act 2003
- Experience of working in a small team preferably in a commercial environment
- Experience of cashing up procedures
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation
- Knowledge of Licensing Law
- Knowledge of the principles of food safety
- Knowledge of the basics of running a commercial operation
- Ability to digest and interpret a range of written and verbal information
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates a willingness to work unsociable hour
- Track record reveals commitment to hard work and ability to self-motivate
- Track record reveals ability to work on own initiative
- Friendly/helpful manner
- Excellent timekeeper
- Flexible, adaptable and calm under pressure
- Good organisational ability
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to work with a wide range of people
- Willingness to take ownership of tasks
- Attention to detail
- Enthusiasm and positive approach
- Holder of the SIA Door Supervisor qualification
- Holder of a Personal Licence
- One year’s experience of supervising a small team preferably in a commercial environment
- Experienced trainer and motivator
- Certificate in Health & Safety legislation
- Food Hygiene Level 2
- Experience of running a commercial operation
- Knowledge of the student market
Rate of Pay: £22,333 (pro rata)
Hours per Week: 37 hours per week during term time (32 weeks)
Holiday Entitlement: 27 days annual leave + Bank Holidays + Closure Days (pro rata)
Location: Frenchay campus but the post holder may be required to work at, or from, any of the Union’s establishments.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please download an application & Equal Opportunities form.
Application Deadline: 12/01/2020
Interview Date: TBC