Nursery Nurse (Maternity Cover)
Purpose of the Post
- To provide high quality care, education and learning opportunities for children aged 0-5 years
The position shares with all other staff positions a general purpose which is:
- To work collectively for the attainment of the goals of The Students’ Union at UWE as expressed in the Constitution, Policy Book, and Strategic Plan and through the decisions of its committees.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Support for Children’s learning
- To provide high quality, child-centred care and education.
- To plan, organise and supervise activities, organising themes and projects.
- To act as a key-person for a group of children.
- To supervise and encourage positive, safe behaviour for children and adults.
- To build positive relationships with children by acting as a role model and providing a warm, caring environment.
- To conduct regular observations on children and maintain developmental records.
Support for the Learning Environment
- To retrieve, sort and display children’s work and other relevant material in an effort to provide a pleasant physical environment that promotes the ethos of the setting.
- To supervise the premises ensuring they remain clean, tidy, safe and secure.
- To complete daily room checks and participate in the review of risk assessments.
Care and Support for Children
- To assist children with personal, social hygiene and care.
- To identify concerns in regards to children’s development and progress and differentiate planning to address their personal needs effectively
- To devise and implement Personal Plans for children with SEND in collaboration with child’s parents and the setting SENDCO.
- To promote and engage in effective, positive communication with children, colleagues, staff and parents.
Supervision and Work Planning: The post holder will be receiving supervision from the Management/Supervisory Team but will be expected to work on his own initiative for routine tasks.
Special Notes and Conditions: The post holder may be required to undergo training.
- Good standard of education (GCSE levels in Maths and English) NNEB,CACHE, level 3 in childcare Qualification or equivalent
- Experience of working in a nursery environment with children in the relevant age group.
- Experience of monitoring and recording children’s development and progression.
- Good communication skills
- Good verbal and written skills
- Ability to relate and understand each individual child.
- Ability to plan and organise activities and routine in the short term as well as the long term for both yourself and the children.
- Ability to meet each child’s individual developmental needs.
- Knowledge of health and safety standards operating in a nursery.
- Working knowledge of the Foundation Stage (EYFS).
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as on own initiative.
- Ability to work with parents, internal and external stakeholders and other professionals.
- Understanding and commitment to equal opportunities.
- Sense of humour.
- Care for the children in a warm and sensitive manner.
- Flexible, enthusiastic and understanding
- Paediatric First Aid qualification.
- Basic Food Hygiene
- Safeguarding qualification
- Experience of working as a team member in a nursery environment.
- Experience of participating in the implementation of Individual Education Plans
- Experience of working with children with Special Educational Needs and English as an Additional Language.
- Ability to play a musical instrument.
- Artistic/Creative skills (drawing, singing).
- Ability to speak another language.
Please see the full JD & PS here
Rate of Pay: £20,269 (Pro Rata)
Holiday Entitlement: 27 days annual leave + Bank Holidays + Closure Days (Pro Rata)
Hours per Week: 16 hours working over 2 days (Monday and Tuesday)
Duration: Fixed term to cover Maternity Leave
Location: Frenchay campus but the postholder will be required to work from any of our sites.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please download an application and Equal Opportunities form.
Application Deadline: 26/01/2020