Purpose of the Post:
- To support the student volunteers involved with the Academic Representation System
- To facilitate and support the recruitment, training, reward and recognition and handover of Student Representatives at Department and Faculty levels
- To enable the recruitment, provide the training and enable the support and development of Student Representatives at Programme level
- To support and empower Student Representatives to conduct student led enhancement projects and campaigns centred on individual issues
- To advise and support elected Student Officers and other Students’ Union staff on matters where the trend from Student Representatives is indicative of an issue impacting on an increasing number of students
The position shares with all other staff positions a general purpose to work collectively for the attainment of the goals of the Students’ Union at UWE as expressed in the Constitution, Policy Book, and Strategic Plan and through the decisions of its committees.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. To deliver the process of online elections for the Lead and Department Representatives roles
2. To develop and maintain a strong working relationship and good communication channels between the Lead and Department Representatives, Students Reps and staff of the SU and University through liaison with appropriate staff in the University including; the Learning and Teaching Enhancement Team, UWE Governance, Academic Staff, Heads of Department and Associate Deans from the faculties as appropriate
3. To act as Secretary to Students’ Union and Student Led meetings as appropriate to facilitate these communication channels
4. To interpret potential complex information and to produce briefings
5. To coordinate, facilitate and maintain the reward and recognition of relevant departments and/or roles
6. To design, facilitate and deliver opportunities for training and development for relevant roles/departments
7. To undertake contextual and comparative analyses of relevant trends understanding the University’s academic strategy, the educational experience of similar students at the other universities and government policy for higher education
8. To liaise and maintain a strong working relationship with the Advice Centre team to identify common trends that can inform and develop University policy and procedures
9. To conduct research which can assist relevant officers with educational campaigns
10. To be responsible for the monitoring and evaluation of the student representation system on behalf of the Students’ Union and reports with recommendations for improvement are prepared and presented to Officers and staff of the Students’ Union and staff of the University as appropriate.
11. Ensure adherence to the requirements of data protection
12. Maintain generalist knowledge and understanding of University regulations, policies and procedures that may affect the work of the student representation System
13. Ensure the availability of up to date and comprehensive resources to be used in the student representation system, including the updating of in-house publications and the website
14. To support the development of and provide administration to the Students’ Union Student-led projects enhancement projects and campaigns that directly relate to education
15. To assist in the promotion of Student-led Projects to the student body and raise their profile within the University
Key Working Relationships:
The post holder will liaise with a range of colleagues within the Students’ Union and the University, including the Learning and Teaching Enhancement Team, UWE Governance, Academic Staff, Heads of Department and Associate Deans from the faculties as appropriate,
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent
- Acting in a co-ordinating supportive role
- Liaising/networking with a diverse range of people
- Experience of managing own workload
- Excellent customer service
- Educational Report Writing Skills
- Analytical Skills
- Fully proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise a challenging workload
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent telephone manner
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to motivate & inspire others
- Ability to research, collate and disseminate complex information
- Understanding & commitment to equal opportunities
- Approachable & personable
- Ability to present a professional & positive image of the Students’ Union
- Ability to use own initiative, consulting relevant parties as & when required
- Adaptive & responsive to change
- Ability to work autonomously & as part of a team
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Current clean driving licence
- Experience of a Higher Education institution, as a staff member or student
- Working with a student/course representative system or similar
- Understanding of the current issues in the Higher Education Sector
- Knowledge of the needs and expectations of students in higher education
- Able & willing to work outside standard office hours as & when required
- Willing to travel within Bristol & the surrounding area
Rate of Pay: £19,872 (Pro rata).
Holiday Entitlement: 27 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays and Closure Days (pro rata).
Hours per Week: 37 hours a week for 7 months and 18 hours a week for 5 months (May, June, July, August, half of December and half of January).
Duration of Role: Fixed term until the end of May 2021.
Location: Based at Frenchay Campus. The post holder may be required to work at, or from any of the Students’ Union’s establishments.
How to Apply
Please download an Application and Equal Opportunities form. Completed applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Monday 18th of February 2019.
Here at The Students’ Union we want our workforce to reflect the makeup of the community we serve. Therefore we welcome all applications irrespective of gender, ethnic origin, religion, belief, sexual orientation, age or disability. We consider ourselves to be a family friendly employer, and offer flexible working patterns.