Purpose of the Post:
- To support (operationally & administratively) The Students’’ Union at UWEs Sports Clubs to achieve their aims.
- To coordinate the delivery of the British Universities & College Sport [BUCS] team championship programme.
- To ensure the development of student activities, specifically sport, volunteer recruitment & the Varsity Series.
The position shares with all other staff positions a general purpose to work collectively for the attainment of the goals of the Students’ Union at UWE as expressed in the Constitution, Policy Book, and Strategic Plan and through the decisions of its committees.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the development of, and provide administration to The Students’ Union Sports Clubs
- Facilitate the achievement of the Sports Clubs aims and objectives
- Work closely with the Opportunities Team and elected Vice Presidents to plan and develop online training, resources, communication and consistent support
- Collate key information from each of the Sports Clubs including accurate membership details, committee contact details, training plans and risk assessments
- Ensure Sports Clubs operate safely and adhere to the policies and procedures of The Students’ Union
- Maintain an overview of Sports Club budgets and support Clubs in managing their finances and applying for grants where applicable
- Work with the UWE Bristol Centre for Sport to provide operational support for sports Clubs
- Assist with the promotion of Sports Clubs to the student body and raise their profile within the University
- Engage and support Clubs to take part in student led Students Union and University events
- Work with external stakeholders to ensure the smooth running of Sports Club activities including training sessions and fixtures
- Support the Students’ Union VP Sports & Health in coordination & development of TeamUWE & all team sports and their activities
- Coordinate & lead in the full delivery logistics of the BUCS team championships, ensuring its effective & efficient operation; compliance with all safety policies, rules & regulations
- Monitor and track the budgets for both BUCS fuel & official costs, operating within the agreed financial regulations and procedures
- Coordinate the budgets for BUCS team championships alongside the Club Development Manager
- Work with the Centre for Sport to coordinate match day Physiotherapy cover
- Provide administrative & organisational support, advice & training to students involved in Sport within the Students’ Union
- Coordinate the development of all team sports, specifically sports volunteer recruitment & development.
- Develop, promote and deliver sports activities, events & programmes to ensure high levels of participation
- Provide written reports on Sports Club activity for the Opportunities Manager & Club Development Manager. Collate project data & feedback, including participation figures
- Work with the Opportunities Team and relevant Students’ Union departments to coordinate Sports Club involvement during Welcome, particularly Freshers Fair
- Work in collaboration with external stakeholders, and internal UWE Bristol departments to deliver the annual Varsity Series, or equivalent
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Alongside the staff & officer team develop & deliver the student leadership programme
- To support with, and deliver relevant training workshops to Club members around the topic of Mental Health in Sport
- To be the secretary to Sports Conference (or equivalent) & any other sub groups that are deemed appropriate
- Work in conjunction with Students’ Union & University staff to develop & link to local schemes which enable students to take National Governing Body [NGB] & other relevant equivalent qualifications
- Develop effective working relationships with relevant university departments & external organisations, in particular BUCS, NGB’s, local authorities & charities.
- Work with the Marketing Department to coordinate the promotion of Students’ Union sports achievements in the Students’ Union media.
- Compile detailed information illustrating patterns & trends in Students’ Union activities.
- In collaboration with staff develop funding bids for Students’ Union & the sports within it.
- To act in accordance with the policies & procedures laid out in the staff handbook.
- Any other reasonable duties as directed by the organisation
Skills & Experience:
- At least one year’s administration experience, in a customer-facing role
- Liaising / networking with a diverse range of people
- Meeting various deadlines in a busy environment
- Experience of initiating, organising and promoting student sport
- Experience managing own workload
- Event organisation/coordination
- Degree or A Levels with equivalent experience
- Fully proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Willingness to undergo training to deliver workshops around Mental Health and Sport in Higher Education.
- Approachable & personable.
- Ability to present a professional positive image
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Ability to use own initiative, consulting relevant parties as & when required
- Ability to work with a wide range of people from different backgrounds
- Strong ability to multitask
- Understanding & commitment to equal opportunities
- Adaptive to change
- Good organisational ability
- Able and willing to work outside standard office hours as and when required
- Willing to travel within Bristol and the surrounding area
- Current driving license
- Experience gained in Higher Education dealing with student sport
- Management or coordination of volunteers
- Management or coordination of finances
- Initiating, organising and promoting activities for students or young people
- Understanding of the current issues in higher education
- Experience of developing and delivering training
- Experience in delivery of training around Mental Health in Sport
- Interest in sport
Rate of Pay:
Hours per Week:
37 hours per week, working 5 out of 7 days.
We consider ourselves to be a family friendly employer, and consider flexible working patterns!
2 years fixed term from start date (Proposed start date 07/06/2021 )
27 Days + Closure Days & Bank Holidays ‘pro rata’
Based at Frenchay Campus.
The postholder may be required to work at, or from any of the Union’s establishments (Bower Ashton Campus, Glenside Campus etc)
Check out our ‘Employee Benefits’ page here for full details of our benefits and wellbeing offerings! (Make sure you are using google chrome or Microsoft edge to view this page)
How to Apply:
Click to view the full Job Description and Person Specification
To apply for this role, please download and complete an Application and Equal Opportunities form. and return to email@example.com
Application Deadline: 12/04/2021
Interview Date: 30/04/2021 / 04/05/2021
Here at The Students’ Union we want our workforce to reflect the makeup of the community we serve.
Therefore we welcome all applications irrespective of gender, ethnic origin, religion, belief, sexual orientation, age or disability.