Venue Supervisor (Term-Time)
Purpose of the Post
To assist the Commercial Manager (Licensed Trade) in the operation of the bar venue, so as to meet the needs and expectations of the students.
The position shares with all other staff positions a general purpose which is: To work collectively for the attainment of the goals of the Union as expressed in the Constitution, Policy Book, and Strategic Plan and through the decisions of its committees
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. To assist the Commercial Manager (Licensed Trade) to oversee the operation of the facilities of the venue in its entirety which includes the provision for wet sales and food service, and the supporting provisions relating to the entertainment of the customers
2. To assist the Commercial Manager (Licensed Trade) to recruit, induct, coach, involve and motivate venue staff such that they are committed to making the venue in which they work the first choice for students
3. To involve venue staff in the development and delivery of promotional activities and entertainments so as to generate a fun environment
4. To assist the Commercial Manager (Licensed Trade) to ensure adherence to all legal requirements including Fire, Health and Safety, Licensing and Employment
5. To act as duty manager, overseeing the venue in its entirety when required. Ensure excellent front of house service, allocate and support staff throughout the shift to maintain speed of service and cleanliness of the venue
6. Ensure the venue opens on time and is ready for business
7. Keep staff busy and productive at all times, ensuring staff meet the standards expected, addressing and correcting bad practice where applicable
8. To assist the Commercial Manager (Licensed Trade) to meet performance targets
9. Ensure the security of cash at all times
10. Assist in the control of staff wage costs
11. Involvement in the setting of service and quality standards, including sharing ideas for new services and products
12. To ensure the proper receipt storage and security of all goods for resale
13. To control the sale of those goods and in so doing to ensure the proper receipt, banking and security of all monies due
14. Ensure opening, closing and cleaning checklists are completed
15. Any other reasonable duties as directed by the Commercial Manager (Licensed Trade)
Supervision and Work Planning
The post holder will receive guidance and support from the Commercial Manager (Licensed Trade) but will be expected to work on his/her initiative from day-to-day.
Special Notes and Conditions
The post holder may be required to undergo training.
- Educated to GCSE level or equivalent
- Eligible to hold a Security Industry Authority licence
- Eligible to hold a Personal Licence (Licensing Act 2003)
- Experience of working in a small team preferably in a restaurant/bar environment
- Experience of cashing up procedures
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation
- Knowledge of Licensing Law
- Knowledge of the principles of food safety
- Knowledge of the basics of running a commercial operation
- Ability to digest and interpret a range of written and verbal information
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates a willingness to work unsociable hours
- Track record reveals commitment to hard work and ability to self-motivate
- Track record reveals ability to work on own initiative
- Friendly/helpful manner
- Excellent timekeeper
- Flexible, adaptable and calm under pressure
- High standards of personal hygiene
- Good organisational ability
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to work with a wide range of people
- Willingness to take ownership of task
- Attention to detail
- Enthusiasm and positive approach
- Holder of the SIA Door Supervisor qualification
- Holder of a Personal Licence
- One year’s experience of supervising a small team preferably in a restaurant/bar /nightclub environment
- Experienced trainer and motivator
- Certificate in Health & Safety legislation
- Food Hygiene Level 2
- Experience of running a commercial operation
- Knowledge of the student market
Rate of Pay: £19,872 (pro rata).
Holiday Entitlement: 27 days, as well as Bank Holidays and Closure days (pro rata).
Hours per Week: 37 hours per week in term-time (32 weeks over each academic year).
Duration of Role: A fixed term role until May 2020.
Location: Frenchay Campus. However, the post holder may be required to work at, or from any of the Union’s establishments.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please download an Application and an Equal Opportunities Form. Please return completed version to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 13.12.2018
Interviews will be the week commencing 17.12.2018
Here at The Students’ Union we want our workforce to reflect the makeup of the community we serve. Therefore we welcome all applications irrespective of gender, ethnic origin, religion, belief, sexual orientation, age or disability. We consider ourselves to be a family friendly employer, and offer flexible working patterns.