UWE Women's Football retain Varsity trophy in extra time!

UWE Women's Football left it to extra time to beat University of Bristol in nail biting game which saw UWE have to come from behind twice.

The game started slow with both teams clearly showing some rustiness after not having a competitve game for over 6 weeks. UWE had the best of the chances in the first 40 minutes but both sides couldn't materisalise anything in the final third. Becca Slevin twice cleared the ball off the line for UWE to keep it all square. That all changed when just before half-time UOB saw their long range shot hit the back of the net for them to go into the break leading 1-0.

UWE continued to push for an equaliser with no luck after some fantastic saves from the UOB keeper and UWE hitting the woodwork. UWE won themselves a penalty after the referee judged Olivia Fergusson to have been fouled in the box. Alys Hinchcliffe stepped up to take it but the UOB keeper again pulled off another great save to retain their lead. It was starting to feel like it wasn't going to be UWE's day but after some great work from Hinchliffe, her cross was met brilliantly by Fergusson's head to level the playing field.

Celebratations didn't last for too long as UOB hit back almost immediately. After a good counter attack, UOB again found themselves in front with 10 minutes of the game remaining. UWE continued to push for an equaliser and after alot of pressure they finally found their breakthrough. Hinchcliffe picked up the ball on the edge of the box and saw her thunderous shot fire off the post and into the back of the net. With the game all square after 90 minutes, extra time followed.

With alot of tired legs on the pitch, the importance of getting the next goal was evident. UWE started off well and after another good run from Hinchcliffe, her cross found Fergusson for a tap in and to put UWE in front for the first time in the game. UWE had another chance to increase their lead further when Daisy Bloor saw her long range effort ricochet off the bar. UOB did have one last effort with a great cross into the box which was dealt with convincinly by UWE keeper Evie Ridd. As the clock wound down, UWE kept the ball well to finish the game winners at 3-2.

The UWE win has continued a five year Varsity winning streak for Women's Football 1sts.