UWESU is committed to protecting your privacy when you are using its online services.
Guiding Privacy Principles
Compliance with the Data Protection Act of 1998 underlies all of our personal information privacy practices. We also have a set of guiding principles which govern how we use the information that we collect about you on our websites.
Use of data is compliant with the Data Protection Act 1998 and specifically with the 8 data principles that are set out within it:
- Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully
- Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes (as above), and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.
- Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.
- Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
- Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
- Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects.
- Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.
- Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.
Information we collect
We will ask for “Personal Information” which identifies you and enables you to be contacted. We will also ask for information about your course. If you join an activity group (Sports, Societies) we may ask you for next of kin details for emergency contact only, and for details of any medical conditions that might affect your participation in the activity that could put your or others at risk.
We will use the information for the following purposes:
- To administer your membership of UWESU.
- To administer the services and activities of UWESU, such as Sports Clubs, Societies, Student Reps, the Jobshop.
- To carry out research on the demographics, interests and behaviour of our registered members.
- To send you email newsletters from UWESU and details of student promotions as they become available.
- To improve the content of the UWESU websites.
- To perform marketing and promotional activities, including the use of third parties.
- To forward information to you which we feel you may find useful, such as details of products and services and forthcoming career/job opportunities.
We may pass your personal information onto the organisers of Sports Clubs, Societies or other UWESU services which you choose to join.
We also collect anonymous information for statistical purposes. Any anonymous information is not linked to your personal information and cannot be used to identify you.
Other links within this site to other websites or framed third party sites within the UWESU websites are not covered by this policy. We may continue to use your personal information for a period after you cease being a registered member.
Consent and Choice
If you choose not to register or not provide personal information, you may still visit the UWESU website but you will not be able to access the restricted areas available to registered users. By clicking on "I accept" during the registration process, you accept the Terms and Conditions described herein and consent to our using your information accordingly.
Access to Personal Information
Individuals can find out if we hold any personal information by making a ‘subject access request’ under the Data Protection Act 1998. If we do hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it;
- tell you why we are holding it;
- tell you who it could be disclosed to; and
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.
To make a request to UWESU for any personal information we may hold you need to make a request in writing please download a Subject Access Request form.
UWESU cannot be held responsible for any inaccurate personal details.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your personal information will not be sold, traded, or rented to individuals or other entities. We may need to share Personal Information with third parties when purchasing items off our website. These third parties are required to not use your Personal Information other than to provide the services requested by UWESU.
We may disclose your Personal Information if we are required to comply with any legal obligations.
We have taken appropriate measures to ensure that your personal information is not unlawfully processed. However, no information transferred over the Internet or wireless network can be guaranteed to be completely secure. We will not be transferring your personal information outside of the European Economic Area.
Cookies are a means of storing information about you and your preferences on the hard drive of the computer you are using.
The UWESU websites are intended for students and staff at The University West of England who are over 17 years of age. The UWESU websites are not intended for children and we ask that no-one under the age of 17 submits personal information to us or uses the site without supervision of a parent or guardian.
The University is registered with the Information Commissioner to process personal data, and is obliged to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998. Personal data collected via this website will only be used for the stated purpose for which they are collected. No personal data will be passed to any third party without the consent of the person concerned.
UWESU is an unincorporated association with charitable status and the ultimate data controller under the Act, its Trustees are therefore ultimately responsible for implementation of this policy. The Trustees will be represented by the General Manager who will deal with day to day matters.
UWE Students’ Union
If you have any questions for UWESU relating to privacy, please send them to this address.
Changes to this policy