The Students’ Union at UWE (registered name: UWE Students’ Union) is committed to protecting your privacy when you are using its online services.
Guiding Privacy Principles
On 25 May 2018 the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) replaced the Data Protection Act of 1998 as the law governing the processing of personal data by The Students’ Union.
Compliance with GDPR underlies all of our personal information privacy practices. We also have a set of guiding principles that govern how we use the information that we collect about you on our websites.
Use of data is compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018 and specifically with the data principles that are set out within it. Data must be:
- processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner in relation to individuals;
- collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes; further processing for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes shall not be considered to be incompatible with the initial purposes;
- adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed;
- accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date; every reasonable step must be taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay;
- kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed; personal data may be stored for longer periods insofar as the personal data will be processed solely for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes subject to implementation of the appropriate technical and organisational measures required by the GDPR in order to safeguard the rights and freedoms of individuals; and
- processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures.”
The data controller shall be responsible for, and be able to demonstrate, compliance with the principles.
Information we collect
We will ask for “Personal Information” which identifies you and enables you to be contacted. We will also ask for information about your course. If you join an activity group (Sports, Societies) we may ask you for next of kin details for emergency contact only, and for details of any medical conditions that might affect your participation in the activity that could put your or others at risk.
We will use the information for the following purposes:
- To administer your membership of The Students’ Union at UWE.
- To administer the services and activities of The Students’ Union at UWE, such as Sports Clubs, Societies, Student Reps, and Jobshop.
- To carry out research on the demographics, interests and behaviour of our registered members.
- To send you email newsletters from The Students’ Union at UWE and details of student promotions as they become available.
- To improve the content of The Students’ Union at UWE websites.
- To perform marketing and promotional activities, including the use of third parties.
- To forward information to you which we feel you may find useful, such as details of products and services and forthcoming career/job opportunities.
We may pass your personal information onto the organisers of Sports Clubs, Societies or other services of The Students’ Union at UWE, which you choose to join.
We also collect anonymous information for statistical purposes. Any anonymous information is not linked to your personal information and cannot be used to identify you.
Other links within this site to other websites or framed third party sites within The Students’ Union at UWE websites are not covered by this policy. We may continue to use your personal information for a period after you cease being a registered member.
Consent and Choice
If you choose not to register or not provide personal information, you may still visit The Students’ Union at UWE website but you will not be able to access the restricted areas available to registered users. By clicking on "I accept" during the registration process, you accept the Terms and Conditions described herein and consent to our using your information accordingly.
Access to Personal Information
Individuals can find out if we hold any personal information by making a ‘subject access request’ under the GDPR. If we do hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it;
- tell you why we are holding it;
- tell you who it could be disclosed to; and
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.
To make a request to The Students’ Union at UWE for any personal information we may hold you need to make a request in writing please download a Subject Access Request form.
The Students’ Union at UWE cannot be held responsible for any inaccurate personal details.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your personal information will not be sold, traded, or rented to individuals or other entities. We may need to share Personal Information with third parties when purchasing items off our website. These third parties are required to not use your Personal Information other than to provide the services requested by The Students’ Union at UWE
We may disclose your Personal Information if we are required to comply with any legal obligations.
We have taken appropriate measures to ensure that your personal information is not unlawfully processed. However, no information transferred over the Internet or wireless network can be guaranteed to be completely secure. We will not be transferring your personal information outside of the European Economic Area.
Cookies are a means of storing information about you and your preferences on the hard drive of the computer you are using.
The Students’ Union at UWE websites are intended for students and staff at The University West of England who are over 17 years of age. The Students’ Union at UWE websites are not intended for children and we ask that no-one under the age of 17 submits personal information to us or uses the site without supervision of a parent or guardian.
The University is registered with the Information Commissioner to process personal data, and is obliged to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018. Personal data collected via this website will only be used for the stated purpose for which they are collected. No personal data will be passed to any third party without the consent of the person concerned.
The Students’ Union at UWE is an unincorporated association with charitable status and the ultimate data controller under the Act, its Trustees are therefore ultimately responsible for implementation of this policy. The Trustees will be represented by the General Manager who will deal with day to day matters.
The Chief Executive Officer
The Students Union at UWE
If you have any questions for The Students’ Union at UWE relating to privacy, please send them to this address.
Changes to this policy