Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Some of our most frequently asked questions include...

1) What are personal circumstances and when do they apply? Personal Circumstances are described as being ‘unforeseen, unexpected, significantly disruptive and beyond a student's control' - they will have seriously affected your ability to complete, submit or attend an assessment. They cover situations such as serious illness/injury and bereavement, but the nature of PCs means that they are wide in scope so can clearly cover other situations. For full information see the UWE personal circumstances guide.

If you wish to use one of the University's processes for supporting students with Personal Circumstances affecting their assessments you MUST make sure that you follow the correct procedures and provide the appropriate evidence. Your application should be submitted as close as possible to the date of the affected assessment(s). 

Submitting an application does not guarantee that it will be accepted.

If you submit an application once in a year and want your circumstances to be considered for subsequent pieces of work/exams later in the year, you MUST ensure you submit a new application in the same way as above at the relevant time. It is a student's responsibility to ensure their applications are continously submitted - do not assume the faculty know of your situation.

2) I have received a mark back that I am unhappy with, can I appeal? Appeals must be submitted within 10 working days of your final results being published. You can only appeal:

  • If there has been a material and significant administrative error or other material irregularity, such as the assessment was not conducted in accordance with the approved regulations for the module/award i.e. you feel UWE have done something wrong.

You cannot appeal:

  • Because you think you worked hard and the mark awarded doesn’t reflect this;
  • Because you were unhappy with the teaching on the course or supervison (you should have complained before now);
  • Because your performance was affected and you didn't submit ECs at the time (unless you have evidence that you were not in the right frame of mind at the time of the assessment)

Like PCs, appeals must be submitted on the correct form.

If you would like further advice on the appeals process please contact us in the Advice Centre.

3) I have received a letter accusing me of an alleged assessment offence, and a friend told me this means I’ll be kicked off the course. Is this true? Assessment offences cover issues such as cheating, collusion and plagiarism which are breaches of the University's academic regulations. The University take such breaches seriously and may impose a penalty if they feel an assessment offence has been committed. Once you receive the letter, you must act quickly as you only have a short time scale in which to respond. Your letter should be accompanied by a response form, offering you the opportunity to go and view your work. We recommend all students go to see their work first before accepting or denying the offence. We can then advise you on whether to accept or deny and the best way to do this, as well as potential penalties which are likely to be imposed. These can differ depending upon whether it is your first offence and what year of study you are. Therefore, you should come to see us as soon as you have seen your work.

4) I have failed a module, what happens now? The marks for any component(s) passed will be carried forward and your overall module mark will be this mark added to the mark you receive for the component(s) you resit. If youi do not pass the resit you should be aware that any module at levels 1, 2 or 3 which is retaken, will be capped at 40% unless PCs have been submitted and accepted.

If you fail the resit, you are entitled to retake the whole module again. If there are no accepted PCs then the module will be capped. Even if you have an application accepted you will still have to pay the module fee.

We recommend any students who find themselves in this situation to contact a UWE Student Support Adviser via an Information Point for clarification, to ensure that all the correct policies and procedures are followed.

You should note that the above does not apply to professional practice modules or Masters dissertations. In addition, the overall pass mark for Masters students is 50% not 40%.

5) I am not happy on my course and am considering leaving. Who should I speak to? If you are considering leaving UWE, or transferring to another University, you should speak to a UWE Student Support Adviser via an Information Point as soon as possible, before you make any decisions. They will be able to ensure that you have all the necessary information before you make a final decision and will also be able to give you information on your tuition fee liability and other important factors which could affect your decision. Don’t forget, if you do leave UWE and are in receipt of loans and bursaries all of the issuing companies will need to be informed, and if you are in UWE managed accommodation, you are likely to still have a rent liability for a period of time. Leaving University altogether can have numerous implications on your housing situation so come and see us in the SU Advice Centre for more details on this and a UWE Student Suppoprt Adviser for all things academic!

6) I love UWE but don’t think the course I am on is for me. I would like to change courses but stay at UWE, who should I talk to? If you are hoping to transfer courses within UWE then again you need to speak to a UWE Student Support Adviser via an Information Point. They will be able to tell you all about the entry requirements for the course and give details on the possibility of a transfer. It is important you speak to them before leaving your current course. You should also consider talking to a Careers Adviser to ensure your course change fits in with your overall career plan.