The Students' union at uwe Driver Training
A number of different driver training schemes are operated by The Students' Union to ensure transport provided by student for students is as safe as possible.
Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme (MiDAS)
Upon completion you'll be able to drive Minibuses up to 3.5tonnes MAM [ usually 12-14 seats] (including driver) and any type of van.
- Have held a Full UK Category B Driving Licence (car) for a minimum of 3 years
- Be aged 21 years or over
- You must hold a clean licence (please contact The Students' Union at UWE before booking if you do not satisfy this condition as other options may be available).
MiDAS MPV Course
Upon completion you'll be able to drive People Carriers up to 9 seats (including driver) and vans up to SWB (Short Wheelbase).
- Have held a Full UK Category B Driving Licence (car)
- Be aged 19 years or over
- You must hold a clean licence (please contact before booking if you do not satisfy this condition as other options may be available).
If you wish to undertake a Trailer Familiarisation session, please book onto the MPV People Carrier Practical Assessment and then simply send an email to email@example.com that you wish to do the Trailer Familiarisation in addition.
DVLA Legislation regarding towing trailers can be found here:
If any aspect of the legislation or booking process is unclear, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Book
To book, simply purchase the relevant product(s) listed below, or go to the Students' Union Reception and pay over the counter. The theory & practical session costs £25 for UWE students.
University of Bristol students are also welcome to book any course listed below. The cost is £75 and can be paid by card over the phone on 0117 328 2577.
Anyone booking must complete an online Drivers registration form. This can be found on the 'How to > Forms & Downloads' section of this website.
We will also require a copy of the front and back of your driving licence. This can be scanned for you at the Students Union Reception, or you can email a photo to email@example.com
- You must pass the MiDAS Theory component before taking the MiDAS Practical*
- You will not be allowed to take a theory or practical course unless you have prepaid
- You can't book onto a course on the same day as the course
- You must be able to produce your driving licence at the MiDAS Theory Session**
* - You can book onto a practical before you have completed the Theory component, but you must have passed the theory by the date your practical takes place.
** - If you do not have your driving licence with you in Bristol, we will be happy to accept a scanned or photographed version by email sent in before the Theory session. Send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Booking for Theory and Practical Sessions
NOTE: If you are unsuccessful in passing the Theory component (£10), you will be refunded the cost of the practical component (£15). In the event of cancellation, at least 24 hours notice must be provided. Failure to do so will result in a £25 admin charge.