Welcome to the UWE Debating Society
We meet as a society once a week at 5pm normally in Meeting Room 1 in the SU office bulding.
We try to host a formal debate once per fortnight. The time we meet is spent discussing current affairs or any topics that members would like to talk about as well as planning and choosing debates for the upcoming weeks. This year we will be co hosting an 'Art of Debating' workshop to teach members the rules and skills involved in formal debating. Our debates are normally chaired by a committee member and enable students, faculty staff and outside experts to come together to debate an issue relevant to members interests, students' courses, worldwide events, ethical/moral dilemmas and current affairs.
- 'This House Would Ban Single Use Plastics' (Collaboration with UWE Green Team) - 16th April
- 'This House Believes Gender Roles are a Social Construct' (Collaboration with UWE PhilSoc) - 19th March
- The Students' Union at UWE Presidential Hustings - 5th March
- 'This House Has No Confidence in the Students' Union President' - 5th February
- 'Is There a Student Mental Health Crisis?' (Panel Event) - 24th January
- 'This House Would Abolish Christmas' - 11th December
- UWE Interfaith Conference - 29th November
- The Big Cross-Political Society Debate - 21st November
- 'This House Believes Sex Bots Are a Detriment to Society' (Collaboration with UWE FemSoc) - 13th November
- The Big USA-Iran Nuclear Debate - 6th November
- 'This House Believes Hate Speech is not Covered by Free Speech' - 30th October
- 'This House Would Abolish the Monarchy' - 9th October