Thursday 10th November 2016 marked the annual EAUC’s (Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges) Green Gown Awards. These awards celebrate those institutions who are making radical (and positive) changes in their attitudes towards sustainability and are transforming their organisations. This impressive celebration of sustainability comprised of 21 Winners, and 26 Highly Commended institutions/initiatives chosen from a pool of 115 shortlisted finalists.
Not only did we have the honour of being one of these shortlisted few, The Students’ Union and UWE Bristol picked up a collaborative total of four of these prestigious awards, as well as being highly commended twice.
After being shortlisted, we created a short video for the Green Gown awards, which you can watch below (we hope you feel inspired):
The Students’ Union was highly commended in the Student Engagement category for ‘The Green Team #ThinkGreenBeGreat’.
Collectively with UWE, we were also highly commended in:
- Built Environment category for Soft landings: Keeping it REAL – the approach taken to refurbishing the Bower Ashton courtyard, which dramatically reduced the building’s carbon emissions and is now a template for future refurbishment and new-build projects.
Additionally, were winners in the four categories of:
- Continuous Improvement: Institutional Change for Positive Footprint: Phase 2 - our Sustainability Plan 2013–2020.
- Learning and Skills for Our Green City: Global challenges, Bristol Solutions - a free six-week online course looking at challenges faced by cities in relation to food, nature, transport, resources and energy.
- Student Engagement (large institution) for Green Capital: Student Capital – our joint project with University of Bristol which saw students donating more than 100,000 hours to sustainable activities.
- Leadership for Professor Jim Longhurst’s work to lead the university’s efforts in the field of sustainability.
Although these wins were presented to UWE, it was a collaborative effort. The Student’s Union played a role in the first three award entries, and UWE Bristol is keen for us to share in these successes, with partnership being at the heart of our working ethos, and the true way to creating lasting change.
The Winners’ Brochure is available through the following link.
We would like to say a huge thank you to each and every one of you, we wouldn't have been shortlisted for the 'Student Engagement Award' without your amazing support! This award is for all our amazing students, student leaders, and support staff who inspire, connect, develop and enable ideas and passions to spark and create lasting change. Thank you to everyone – this is everyone’s award!
Remember to continue to #ThinkGreenBeGreat