Are you a student eager to make the most of your time at UWE? One of the best ways to enrich your student experience is by becoming a part of a society. Whether you're interested in exploring a new hobby, pursuing your passions, or contributing to a cause you care about, joining or starting a society can open up a world of opportunities.
Society refers to a student- led organization formed by students with shared interests, goals, or a specific purpose. These societies are recognized and typically facilitated by the student union.
Societies provide a platform for students to come together, engage in activities related to their shared interests, and often contribute to the university community through events, initiatives, or projects. They are a way for students to connect with like-minded peers, pursue their passions, develop leadership skills, and make a positive impact within and sometimes beyond the university campus.
The Benefits of Joining a Society:
1. New Friendships: Joining a society is a fantastic way to meet like-minded individuals who share your interests. It's a natural way to form lasting friendships and expand your social circle.
2. Personal Growth: Societies offer a platform for personal development. Whether you're honing your leadership skills or gaining valuable experience in event planning, there are countless opportunities to grow.
3. Pursue Your Passions: Always wanted to learn salsa dancing, try your hand at photography, or explore the world of entrepreneurship? There's probably a society for that! Joining a society lets you dive into your passions without the pressure of grades.
4. Make a Difference: Many societies are dedicated to making a positive impact. Whether it's through community service, fundraising, or advocacy, you can be a part of something bigger than yourself.
Starting a Society - Where to Begin:
1. Find Your Niche:
Identify your interests or a cause you're passionate about.
Research if there's a gap on campus for a society related to your interest.
2. Assemble a Team:
Recruit friends or fellow enthusiasts who share your vision.
Define roles within your team (e.g., president, vice president, treasurer).
3. Develop an Objective:
Create an objective outlining your society's mission, goals, and structure.
4. Register with Your University:
Contact the student union to register your society.
5. Promote Your Society:
Utilize social media, flyers, and campus events to raise awareness.
Organize an introductory meeting to attract potential members.
6. Plan Engaging Activities:
Schedule regular meetings, workshops, and events to keep members engaged.
Collaborate with other societies for joint activities.
Fill this application form to start your society today: https://www.thestudentsunion.co.uk/dosomething/societies/startasociety/
How to Join a Society:
1. Explore Your Options:
Attend welcome fairs or browse the Students' Union website to discover available societies.
Take note of the ones that pique your interest.
2. Attend Introductory Meetings:
Most societies host introductory meetings or events at the start of the academic year.
Attend these sessions to learn more about the society's goals and activities.
3. Register Online or In-Person:
Register as a member through the student union website or in-person during meetings or fairs.
Pay any required membership fees.
4. Get Involved:
Attend meetings, participate in events, and engage with fellow members.
Consider taking on a leadership role within the society.
Joining or starting a society at university can be a transformative experience. It offers the chance to explore your passions, make lifelong friends, and contribute positively to your community. Whether you're drawn to a pre-existing society or are ready to launch your own, the benefits are plentiful. So, what are you waiting for? Dive in and make the most of your university years by embracing the vibrant world of student societies!