Prevent is a programme which unfairly targets Muslim students and treats them as suspects based on racial profiling. This creates a highly unfair and insecure environment for Muslims despite them being guilty of nothing.
Find out more at:
We would recommend that :
1. Elected officers of this Union do not engage with the Prevent strategy or implement any of the proposals of the Act to which they are not legally bound, and to boycott it as far as legally possible.
2. To SU release a statement expressing its opposition to Prevent and the CTS Act for being racist and a threat to academic freedom and civil liberties.
3. The SU work with campus trade unions including UCU on combating the
Prevent strategy and its implementation on campus.
4. The SU educate students on the dangers of the CTS Act and the Prevent
5. The SU lobby the University to be more open and transparent about how they are engaging with Prevent and other similar initiatives.