Multiple healthy options in all vending machines on UWE campuses.

Extra Information: 

According to the 2017 Health Survey for England, 28.7% of adults in England are obese, and a further 35.6% are overweight, a total of 64.3% are either overweight or obese. This increases costs in two ways: to a person's health, and monetarily to the NHS.


Whilst there may often be more healthy options, such as fruit or nuts, available in shops around the campus, often vending machines are closer, more convenient, have shorter or no queues, and are 24/7.


UWE should provide multiple healthy options, priced no more than the median cost of the products in the vending machine (and preferably cheaper than unhealthy options), in every vending machine, to encourage healthy eating.

Actions Taken

  • This idea opened on 4th February 2020 and closed for voting on 9th March.
  • This Idea has conditionally passed. Work will start on this Idea unless it is vetoed by 50%+1 of the Student Council Meeting.
  • This idea was failed at the Executive and so will not be worked on.


Paul Goddard
4:21pm on 4 Mar 20 Totally agree with this. The healthier options are limited in most food outlets and machines on campus. During stressful times (deadlines, exams, etc.), it's difficult to avoid the temptation of sugar, especially when the options are limited.
Zainab Poswal
11:44am on 25 Feb 20 More vegetable dishes
Harvey Dibden - Angus
10:57am on 7 Feb 20 Protein bars/drinks? Low calorie snacks?
Jack Morter
8:36pm on 6 Feb 20 Can we get beer in them too now
Zoe Peat
8:21pm on 6 Feb 20 My acne needs me to stop eating chocolate
Jacob Maughan
4:57pm on 6 Feb 20 vegan chocolate
Jack Fifield
3:55pm on 6 Feb 20 Gimme some trail mix, apple/banana chips and nuts up in these vending machines and please place them at eyeline so people see them when they walk up.
Jasmine Pow
3:51pm on 6 Feb 20 This is in line with UWE's focus on (mental) wealth and sustainability.
Myles Bunclark
10:14am on 6 Feb 20 Do you want chocolate or crisps? Give me some god damn nuts
Molly Russell
5:27pm on 4 Feb 20 i am fat and need this
Please login to comment.

Public comments must oblige UK law on hate speech, defamation and equality law.

"Honest Opinion" has a legal meaning in defamation which requires evidence – please use facts to support your argument if you can.

Comments in violation of the laws of England & Wales will be removed.

Comments and Ideas may be removed following a complaint by a student member